Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Plans for medical fund and Princess pictures!

WOAH! $17,634 raised in less than a month!?!?
Okay, I know, you probably think I'm crazy or kidding. But SINCE yesterday's Facebook post, we received 2 more generous donors AND a generous grant from a church we used to serve at years ago.
LITERALLY, we have received $4,227 since YESTERDAY. My head is spinning.

What does that mean??? We've been graciously given through 49 donor families and 3 grants, $17,634, in less than a month. We seriously only need to raise another $5366 to finish our adoption fees/ travel fees.




A VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION...
What is going to happen IF you raise over that amount??? Well, we checked with Lifesong for Orphans, our fundraising 501 c3 company. We know we will be able to obtain receipts for at least $9,000- 10,000 of the amount we originally fronted ourselves to the homestudy and placement agencies , all from my job last year with Joey. Since we can show proof of payment of those fees, Lifesong will allow us to receive tax-deductible donations up to that full amount. ALL of those funds will be put in an account for Katie's medical expenses.

So, our goal, after the $5366 is met, will be to save up another $10,000, through the same Lifesong account, towards her medical hearing expenses: tests, therapies, and treatments.

We discovered a couple weeks ago that NONE of the Blue Cross/ Blue Shield private policies include hearing coverage. ?!??! There is a discount program but most likely her hearing expenses over her childhood will cost between 40,000 to 200,000 for us. (lol, don't remind Doug!, it's a scary thought!) We are exploring different private insurance options. This is part of adopting a special needs child. We don't know if she's a candidate for BAHA (bone anchored hearing aids) or cochlear implants of some kind, but we know we will want her tested and attempt to give her the most communication ability and most independent future possible. We still have the Katie's Fundraising Vendor Night/ Silent Auction Dinner coming up November 9th, 7-9 at our church. We hope to raise a few thousand that way!

By the WAY, HERE's our Princess! My sister helped us order a care package for our sweetie, including a "Forever Family" celebration cake and princess crown. We got the pictures today!!! :)


How we LOVE you Katie Grace!!!


Her foster brother from the same orphanage: Qiu Xin (Choo- Shen), an orphanage worker, my daughter, and her older foster sister, age 14. The baby is a friend or neighbor.





2 comments:

  1. I know... I know... mostly of insurance don't cover the hearing aids!!! I know, it is expensive to get a good hearing aids... but not C.I. I don't believe C.I. what if have some negative side effect, I don't see any negative side effects which means it is good... I don't think so... I preferred to be natural like me... I don't wear hearing aids (last time was 1980). I am very proud of being deaf... true identity of deaf person...
    I hope you understand it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so wonderful Jamie. I am so thrilled that so many people are getting to be a part of bringing Katie home! I am also thrilled that your expenses are getting met (nearly had a heart attack when I read your estimate of Katie's medical expenses!). I know that God will meet every need and I am also beginning to believe that tons of people will rise to the occasion! :) This is the stuff that should be making the news!

    ReplyDelete